Vacationers looking for affordable and free things to do in New Jersey vacation spots need look no further. There are plenty of events and attractions to enjoy for free on Atlantic City vacations. We have the perfect activities in mind for cost-conscious visitors, who want to have fun at a great value.
From free events and attractions such as the Atlantic City Airshow, to events that cost less than the price of a movie ticket or even just hanging out on one of the top East Coast beaches, there are plenty of free things to do with kids or friends in Atlantic City. Here’s a list of some of the most fun free things to do in New Jersey – all right here in Atlantic City just waiting for visitors to explore.
|DO FREE IN AC
- Atlantic City Beaches – no beach fees (a rarity in NJ)
- The Atlantic City Airshow "Thunder Over the Boardwalk" blasts through the skies and is one of the most popular free things to do in New Jersey.
- The AC Boardwalk is the perfect place to stroll anytime, or ride bicycles 6 a.m. - 12 Noon, May through September; extended hours of 6:00 a.m. to noon and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.October through April.
- Chicken Bone Beach Concert Series – Free Jazz on the Beach Summer Concerts at Brighton Park, Park Place & Boardwalk. Thursday nights in July and August.
- Crafters Village at Gardner’s Basin – stroll the docks in this historic back bay area, window shop at the unique craft shops, visit the AC Aquarium for a small fee.
- Korean War Memorial Honors the contribution made to help gain freedoms for both the U.S. and South Korea, and Civil Rights Garden symbolizing the passion of the human spirit.
- Wind Farm Tours - ACUA (Atlantic County Utilities Authority) offers free open house tours of the Jersey-Atlantic Wind Farm every Monday and Friday at 12 p.m. during the summer. No appointment necessary!
|DO $10 AND UNDER
- Absecon Lighthouse - Tallest lighthouse in New Jersey - open for climbing 228 steps to the top
- Atlantic City Aquarium - Ocean oddities, sharks, sea anemones and more at Gardner's Basin
- Bicycle rentals - Permitted on the Boardwalk between 6:00 am and 10am daily May through September. Extended hours October through April.
- Boardwalk Arcades - A roll of quarters goes a long way at Central Pier or Playcade arcades
- Forsythe Wildlife Refuge - 43,000 acres of protected coastal habitat and nature trails in Galloway, New Jersey
- Haunted Tales - Theater of animated local folklore featuring pirates and the Jersey Devil
- Historic Cold Spring Village - Open-air hands-on Early American living history museum in Cape May County
- Lucy the Elephant - Restored giant historic landmark first built in 1884, open for tours in Margate, New Jersey
- Marine Mammal Stranding Center - Rescues and rehabilitates stranded mammals and sea turtles in Brigantine, New Jersey
- Miniature Golf - 18 holes of world-class mini golf at AC's premier course on the Boardwalk at Mississippi
- Stockton Noyes Arts Garage - Fine art, crafts and folk art exhibits and home to the African American Heritage Museum, Mississippi and Fairmount Avenues.
- Rainforest Café - Part tropical rainforest, part restaurant, with sweet treats for the kids for under $5!
- Rolling chair ride - See the Boardwalk sites being pushed by an attendant (fee based on distance)
- Skate Zone - Cool off on the Flyers Skate Zone ice rink as you skate or play ice hockey
- Tram rides on the Boardwalk - low cost alternative to getting around on the Atlantic City Boardwalk
- Tuckerton Seaport Museum - Working maritime museum with folk artisans and entertainment in Tuckerton, New Jersey
- Wetlands Institute - Guided beach walks, back bay boat rides, kayaking, animal shows and more in Cape May County
- Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center - Glass, ceramic, flamework, woodcarving artists at work in Millville, New Jersey.
|DO $20 AND UNDER
- AC Cruises - Back bay cruises, dolphin-watching trips or sunset happy hour cruises aboard Cruisin' 1
- A.J. Meerwald - NJ's Official Tall Ship offers sailing trips and classes while in Atlantic City waters
- Great American Trolley Tours - Take one of GA's fun trolley tours of the Jersey Shore
- IMAX Theater at Tropicana - Sit back, relax and enjoy a larger-than-life movie releases
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! - Popular odditorium and museum of weirdness for kids of all ages
- Steel Pier - AC's landmark amusement pier on the Boardwalk with thrill rides and games of chance
- Storybook Land - Just outside of AC (and just over $20), amusement park based on nursery rhymes